Lake Hotel has been announced as a finalist in Historic Hotels of America’s 2016 Awards of Excellence.
According to a HHA press release, Lake Hotel is a finalist in the “Sustainability Champion” category. The full list of finalists in that category is below:
• Hanover Inn Dartmouth (1780) Hanover, New Hampshire.
• The Boar’s Head (1834) Charlottesville, Virginia.
• Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa (1847) Point Clear, Alabama.
• The Willard InterContinental, Washington DC (1847) Washington, DC.
• Lake Yellowstone Hotel & Cabins (1891) Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming.
• Hilton Chicago (1927) Chicago Illinois.
Lake was the only Yellowstone hotel to make the finalists list, although it’s not the only Wyoming hotel. The Wort Hotel in Jackson is a finalist in the “Best Small Historic Inn/Hotel (Under 75 Guestrooms)” category, while its hotelier, Jim Waldrop, has been nominated as “Historic Hotelier of the Year.” From the Historic Hotels of America press release:
The 2016 Historic Hotels Annual Awards of Excellence and Gala Dinner will take place at The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort (1927) in Honolulu, Hawaii on Thursday, November 3 at 6 p.m. The final award winners will be announced to recipients before an audience of owners, senior management, industry leaders, and representatives from the finest historic hotels across the United States and for the first time, worldwide.
Award recipients are selected from nominees received from historic hotels, historic preservation supporters, prior award recipients, and leadership from Historic Hotels of America and Historic Hotels Worldwide. As official programs of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Historic Hotels of America and Historic Hotels Worldwide provide the recognition to travelers, civic leaders, and the global cultural, heritage, and historic travel market that member hotels are among the finest historic hotels across America and around the world. The Historic Hotels Annual Awards of Excellence program recognizes the pinnacle of this distinct group of nominees in a range of categories.
Lake Hotel, originally built in 1891 with additions made by Robert Reamer in 1903, recently underwent a two-year renovation project. Among the improvements made:
• Major structural enhancements.
• Achieving Americans with Disability Act (ADA) compliance.
• Renovation of the lobby, Sun Room and dining room, bringing back the hardwood floors, colors, period lighting and compatible furnishings of the period.
• Renovation of the registration desk, bell desk and bar
• Addition of a concierge desk.
• Renovations of 153 rooms which included new finishes, lighting and carpeting that reflect the period.
• Restoration or replacement of windows and doors.
• Addition of four suites.
• Renovation of the presidential suite.
• Construction of a business center.
• Renovation of corridors.
• Renovation and expansion of the delicatessen.
• Relocations of hotel offices.