|Private; non commercial||$25||7 Days|
|Individual Motorcycle or snowmobile||$20||7 Days|
|Single entry: foot, bike, ski||$12||7 Days|
|Annual Permit||$50||One year|
|Interagency Annual||$80||One year all national parks|
Passes are good for Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park.
Commercial vehicles are subject to a different fee structure:
|Sedan||1-6 passengers||$25, plus $12 per person|
|Van||7-15 passengers||$125 (no person fee)|
|Minibus||16-25 passengers||$200 (no person fee)|
|Motorcoach||26+||$300 (no person fee)|
There are some rules applying to noncommercial ventures:
- Non-commercial vans or buses with a capacity of 15 people or more will be charged $12 per person
- Anyone who is 15 or younger does not have to pay an entrance fee
- Any driver hired only for transport (i.e. someone driving a bus for Girl Scouts) does not have to pay a fee
- Any group in the park for educational purposes (field trip) using a commercial vehicle may obtain a fee waiver
Once an entrance road opens, it is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The only exceptions are caused by road construction and weather-related restrictions.
A Backcountry Use Permit is required for overnight backcountry trips in Yellowstone National Park. They are free of charge and available at ranger stations and visitor centers. The permits must be obtained in person no more than 48 hours in advance. Requests for reservation must be submitted by mail or in person, not over the phone or fax, and they are awarded on a first come, first served basis.
A confirmation notice, not a permit, is given or mailed to the campers. This confirmation notice must then be converted to the actual permit not more than 48 hours in advance of the first camping date. Each trip reservation fee is $20 (not refundable) regardless of the number of nights or the number of people. The address for requesting a permit:
P.O. Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
During the summer season (June-August), permits are available seven days a week between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Bechler Ranger Station
- Canyon Ranger Station/Visitor Center
- Grant Village Visitor Center*
- Bridge Bay Ranger Station*
- Mammoth Ranger Station/Visitor Center
- Old Faithful Ranger Station
- South Entrance Ranger Station*
- Tower Ranger Station
- West Entrance Ranger Station
*permits for boating trips must be obtained at one of these locations
Sign up for the Yellowstone Insider newsletter or Twitter updates! More details here.