High On Life Boys Face Charges In Yellowstone, Other National Parks

The High On Life boys may be facing more charges—outside Yellowstone National Park that is.

According to K2 Radio, the four men face charges not only in Yellowstone but also in Death Valley and Mesa Verde national parks. According to Assistant U.S. Attorney Lee Pico, should the men attempt to enter the United States, they would almost certainly be arrested. Indeed, Pico added that “the individuals will need to come in person to resolve this matter ultimately.”

We previously reported that in mid-May, four men (Charles Ryker Gamble, Alexy Andriyovych Lyakh, and Justis Cooper Price-Brown of British Columbia, along with Hamish McNab Campbell of New Zealand) were witnessed walking on Grand Prismatic Spring at Midway Geyser Basin. The men were quickly identified as employees of the British Colombian company High On Life Sunday Fundayz, a lifestyle/clothing company.

They were charged with several misdemeanors. If convicted, each could face up to six months jail time and a $5,000 fine.

We also reported that the group had fled north to Canada, with an Attorney General’s representative commenting they would not likely be extradited since they only committed misdemeanors. Nonetheless, their actions inspired furor across the Internet, especially on social media.

After a few weeks living under the radar, the High On Life group resurfaced, hiring a Laramie-based lawyer and scheduling a conference call with U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Carman at the Yellowstone Justice Center in Mammoth Hot Springs. Pico was also on the conference call, where he informed the men of their other charges. From K2 Radio:

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management in Utah also has pending charges against them, he said.

According to the minutes of the Thursday’s status conference, Pico did not give details about the other pending charges.

[…]

Campbell, Lyakh and Price-Brown returned to Canada. Cross, who was with the three as an independent filmmaker, returned to New Zealand, Fleener said during the status conference Thursday.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Pico said the research on the cases is done, and he is working with the other national parks to resolve all the cases as one, but that may not be possible. The BLM also is working on the cases, Pico said.

Yellowstone National Park is expecting some restitution for the four men’s actions, but he wasn’t sure what the other national parks may want.

According to K2, Magistrate Carman implored the High On Life men to come resolve the case in person, reportedly commenting on the sheer amount of publicity the case has engendered. Carman added that since the men hired a Wyoming attorney, they should appear in Wyoming to settle the Yellowstone suit.

A follow-up conference call has been scheduled for August 8.

About Sean Reichard

Sean Reichard is the editor of Yellowstone Insider and author of Yellowstone Insider For Families 2017.

Check Also

Traffic near Midway Geyser Basin

Yellowstone shuttles planned for 2021 debut

We will see two new Yellowstone shuttles serving the busiest parts of the park in …